Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jobs, Projects & Classes

Figured it's been a while since my "start of the year" post, and I might as well put some more thoughts down on here. First off - the first few (four? five? what is it now?) weeks have just flown by, surprisingly.

Jobs - I now currently have THREE (yes, count them, three) on campus jobs, all within the film school. While it may sound like I'm pushing the system here, you do have to take into consideration that it all amounts to only about 6 hours a week, which is even less than my one, single job last semester. But still - 

I'm now working as Dodge's Events Photographer, primarily photographing the industry guests who come in for the Industry Insiders Dinners/Screenings on Thursday nights. 
I'll also potentially be helping with some other events coordination in the future. I'm still at the front office, though my hours have been cut way down due to my sporadic schedule. I'm pretty much filler there at this point, plus group tours now and then.
Finally, I got a job in Datacine. This is exciting for me because I get to be trained on a $1.6 million machine, work with all the film that goes through the school, plus see what others are doing. Strangely enough, I've been working for three weeks and still have only scanned two shots on one roll myself. Just the way the schedule has worked out, I haven't had any film to scan on my shift, and have usually gone home early. This week's no exception. Oh well. That will all change once the advanced productions get going.

Speaking of Advanced Productions, I'm working on one next weekend. The shoot is titled "October," and is being directed by my good friend Carly Pandza - perhaps the only other crazy film/theatre double major on campus. Actually, I just heard about a freshman attempting the same, but haven't met him or her yet. Hmmmm. Anyhow, the script is quite good and 'artsy' or, rather, mentally crazy to shoot. I'll be working as 1st AC or Focus Puller, my new favorite position on set other than Director or DP. People have been on me lately to AD (Assistant Director), but since I couldn't make the mandatory AD training (stupid Dodge college held two of them, but both were at the same time on Thursday, a week apart, and I happened to have theatre class during that time... so I couldn't make it) so I probably won't be 1st ADing anytime soon. I have, however, also been asked to produce a handful of Senior Thesis films... crazy! Especially since I've produced very little before now. Unfortunately I don't have the time necessary to give to most of those projects, so I had to turn them down... but it looks like I may still be Co-Producing one, so keep an eye out for news on that.

Now, classes. I'm not going to be the most animated on this subject unfortunately. I was initially excited about this semester because I got to take more upper level courses in topics that I really like. However, I haven't yet been blown away by anything. My Directing class, with well-known director John Badham, shows potential and since I'm interested in Directing it's definitely a class I'm investing my energy and interest into. However, it's once a week, a long (three-hour) class, and so far we've only really covered things that I already am well-versed in from acting (breaking a scene into beats, objectives, tactics, talking to actors, etc.). I'm crossing my fingers that it will get more detailed soon. That being said, it IS just Directing I, so I may end up just sticking it out until I get into new material I'm not familiar with in Directing II. Of course, it's still a great opportunity to just DO the directing work.
Intro to Digital Arts is possibly worse. Though I like the Professor (Ferncase) I am more than slightly bored with the material, having years of experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, etc., the programs we're using. Again, an entry course so for some students it's really helpful how slow he's going, I'm sure, but I'm just sadly bored waiting for some new material.
Cinematography, however, I'm pretty excited about. Though most of the students in the class aren't particularly interested in DPing, I'm loving any new training I can get, specifically in lighting. We shot our first two rolls of 16mm film with one light this week, and I can't say I wasn't thrilled to be working with film. There's something about it that just beats digital. The fact that it's a physical substance, maybe? That it's so fragile (light, dust, etc.?) I have no idea, I just LOVE working with film. We got to learn how to load, too... something I'd only been slightly familiar with till now. So the downside again of the class is we're working a lot slower than I might like, having a lot of experience myself on set and in production already, but I guess as entry-level classes into the subject matters they're going at a pace others can follow too. Can't wait for Cine/Directing II!

P.S.: 20 Second Rule is now online in an almost-finished cut, having been submitted (with TomThumb) to Sundance. I simply think it's hysterical. Risky subject matter... don't watch if you're easily offended, but if you want a good laugh, check it out: www.eric-petersen.com/portfolio/narrative  (and click on 20 Second Rule.... or TomThumb, now online!).

No comments: