Thursday, January 29, 2009

Long Time, No Blog...

So, I came to the realization today it’s been literally almost four months since my last blog entry. It’s amazing how time flies. The end of the semester was really rough because of all the projects I was doing, classes I was taking, and productions I was a part of. I think the last three weeks of the semester I may have gotten an average of about 3 hours of sleep a night – literally – in order to just get everything done. It was a lot more hectic than even I expected, and winter break was really necessary after that…


Some highlights from the last few months of the semester included: a second AP (Advanced Production) on which I was the 2nd AC (Assistant Camera – 2nd this time, so I got to load and slate for the film, which is actually something I love doing). I wrote some of the background music for Carly’s “October” film, which ended up looking really great at the screenings; this was a first for me. The biggest project of the semester, though, had to be OA Yuvarnavandhana’s Senior Thesis: “Mind Machine.

I was asked (as I mentioned in previous blogs) to AD, but hadn’t taken the certification process by Dodge. I ended up having a personal meeting with Professor Kiku Terasaki who okayed me for the project… then it was up to me to schedule and run this $30,000+ film. Crazy. Literally, some of the wildest weeks of my semester, but a blast as well. I got to be in charge of a full-sized sci-fi set on the largest Dodge soundstage, with two industry professionals on set whose credits included “Little Miss Sunshine,” “No Country for Old Men,” and “Star Trek: Enterprise.” Wow. Anyway, the process was extremely hectic – trying to film a 26 page film in 6 days! But I prevailed as AD and got everything (at least all the import stuff) in on schedule. Great experience.

Meanwhile, in the Theatre Department, I was cast in a Student Directed One-Act, “The Mystery of Twicknam Vicarage” as the Reverand Roger Penworthy Pilks. As all the names thus far my suggest, it was a murder mystery and a comedy at that. It was one of the most enjoyable productions I’ve done lately, AND I got a KCACTF (Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival) Irene Ryan Nomination for the part… which means in a few weeks I’ll be participating in the Region VIII competition! Yikes.



My winter break was really necessary, health-wise, even, and it was nice to see family and friends. THEN it was off to London, England for three weeks for Chapman’s London Theatre Tour! It ended up being the best trip of my life. We saw 10 shows as a group and learned to critique live performance. I also saw 15 more shows on my own (I know, right?) for a total of 25 shows in 18 days. Again, the best trip of my life. Now I’m back home in CA, and missing it already.

Next week we start spring classes (I’ll talk about that in my next post, hopefully) but meanwhile, I’ve been asked to AD another film or two, so I’m prepping for those… as well as my own Intermediate Production class, coming up this semester. Plenty going on in the theatre world too, so stay tuned! And last but not least, I was cast in a Music Video shooting this weekend by some Chapman Students off-campus. It seems pretty legitimate, so I’m really excited! I’ll try and keep you posted…

No comments: