Thursday, February 5, 2009

Waitlists, Music Videos, and Spring Semester

Just a quick post, but wanted to mention that my first week back has gone altogether quite smoothly. I was, of course, waitlisted in two classes I needed to take - one theatre, one film - which put only a little bit of a damper on things. My theatre class I was signed into no problem, but my film class I'm still waiting on.

Meanwhile, "To My Enemies," the Saint Motel music video that I was in that shot this past weekend (I think I mentioned it in my last post) went great! Director Carlos Lopez-Estrada (Chapman Film Production '11, like me) did an excellent job pulling a really stellar production together in just a short amount of time and with very little budget. The sets looked amazing, especially when lit, and costumes, etc. were just right. I wore a sleazy, curly mustache as the waiter (see photos) but it looked great. So much fun, and really great production quality. Can't wait to see the finished project.



Things have also been crazy in the Front Office of Dodge this week. It's pretty typical, as transfer students attempt to get things settled, returning students try to beg their way into classes, add/drop forms abound, and things just attempt to get back to normal.

A quick word about waitlists, since I also dealt with an angry mother this week who was upset her daughter couldn't get into a class she needed to take for her major: We don't lie in our tours and information materials. You CAN and WILL get into the classes you need to take... it just might take a little effort on your part. As it is, our reputation is growing and our matriculation rate has gone way up... so, there are more students and only a few more sections being added to our already full schedule here. If you need to take a class for a major, you WILL get into it at some point. Likely, if you go to the class the first week and explain the situation to the teacher, you'll get into it the semester you're expecting too. Everyone DOES want you to succeed here, and will do the best we can. But we are growing rapidly, and some issues naturally about like at any college. So just be patient. Trust me, as a double-major, I KNOW how important it is to get into the classes you need to take (to graduate on time!) but your first two years, it's not the end of the world if you have to wait an extra semester to get into a class or two. And I don't mean all your classes, just one or two. Take a GE instead. Get them out of the way. It will all work out, if you do your homework and don't expect everything to just fall at your feet ready to go.
Anyway, those are my words of advice. Oh, and don't have your upset mom call to complain for you unless you absolutely have to. It's tacky.

My classes this semester:

- Intermediate Production (making our own films, getting ready for Advanced Production)
- Documentary Traditions (an elective, I'm thrilled about this class as we get to watch a ton of documentaries each week and discuss them and talk about what IS a documentary! Actually, quite a complicated topic)

- Production & Set Management (stuff I already know, mostly, but still enjoy - Producing, Budgeting, Assistant Directing, Scheduling, RUNNING a shoot. Definitely take it with Kiku Terasaki if you get the chance.)

- Film History 1945-Present (Not a fan of history classes, but at least we get to watch a ton of great movies and talk about the influences of the modern cinema. Weekly screenings in our main theatre on Wednesday nights - open to the public!)

- Acting Styles (as the name suggests. Currently we're studying the greek tragedies)
- Advanced Shakespeare (continuation of last semester - I am SO excited about this. Especially after seeing some great Shakespeare in London!)

No comments: