Thursday, February 12, 2009

ADing, Producing & Awards

Hey Guys & Girls;So, I'm currently ADing another Senior Thesis - Arthur Fishel's "James Warwick." It shot last weekend and finishes up this weekend. Due to some MAJOR rain issues (California weather... always sunny until you schedule an outdoor film shoot) we will have to extend the shoot possibly to pickups in March, but despite that things are going well. I'm continuing to improve on my AD-work & tempo (how to get the crew in unison, not waste time, etc.). I'm not perfect by any means but I'm starting to really enjoy ADing. I think it's right up my alley.

Also, you can notice this film has a bit to do with baseball which makes it more fun... and complicating. It's also set in the 50's for some scenes. Since we didn't have enough extras on set last weekend for the 'modern day' pickup team, I got to set some grips up in the field and actually be featured on camera as the batter - my aim's not incredible, but at least I got to hit the ball on film! (35mm, too, which is great fun to work with). It's been a long time since I played baseball and I realized this weekend how much I miss it.

Meanwhile, in my Production & Set Management class, I've been assigned to an Advanced Production (AP) shoot: I'm producing Brent St. Mary's film, currently untitled, the first cycle or weekend of the APs. It's going to be a little crazy getting that together - it sounds like it's another period piece - but I have faith it will all work out. It's my first true producing gig, so we'll see how that goes. I have a feeling producing's not for me, but I'll keep you posted.
And now, for some outright bragging. Think I mentioned in previous posts that I was nominated for my last role in the theatre department for the KCACTF (Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival) Irene Ryan Awards. Well, there was a mix-up in some paperwork, and I didn't end up competing... but still, found out I got a nomination for lighting design for "New Beaulah" last semester, a merit award for Stage Management in last spring's one acts, and a merit award as a cast member of my first mainstage show at Chapman, "School for Scandal" as one of the Best Ensemble Cast members.
To make things even more exciting, this past weekend I was awarded 2009 "Best Actor in a Musical" at the New Hampshire Theatre Awards (http://www.nhtheatreawards.com/) - this is out of hundreds of productions! I was nominated for my portrayal of "The Scarecrow" in a production of "The Wizard of Oz" back in NH this past summer. I knew I had made it to top ten about a month ago when they announced the finalists, but wasn't able to make it to the ceremony itself (first week of classes? Fly back to NH? Are you kidding?). Luckily, someone from my theatre company made a speech for me. Anyway... enough bragging, but it's some very exciting reccognition and I'm proud to be noticed.

Now it's back to focusing on film this semester since I'm not in any Mainstage Theatre Department Productions!

No comments: